Wednesday, February 17, 2010

World Schools Debating Championships

So, I've been on a long hiatus. Starting from where I left off, I flew off to China back in December. I landed in Beijing and Nanjing to find all blogging websites and Facebook blocked (quipped someone later, "Then what's the point of the internet?"). As a result, I decided at the time to just put blogging on hold for two weeks.

Needless to say, it's lasted a little longer than that. Time to start up again.



This year the World Schools Debating Championships are being held in Qatar, and today was the Octofinals round, with the motion: "This house believes that we should have no laws which restrict free speech."

I got to sit in on one of the match-ups today: Wales vs. Israel (I did a double take too. Yes, here).

Anyway, both teams were very good -- I've never been on a debate team, so this is really the first time I've gotten the chance to see high school debating at this high a level.

P.S. Wales won.

No comments:

Post a Comment